Information About Cullompton

Information about Cullompton. Cullompton is a town and civil parish in the district of Mid Devon and the county of Devon, England, locally known as Cully. It is 13 miles (21 km) miles north-north-east of Exeter and lies on the River Culm. In 2010 it had a population of 8,639 and is growing rapidly.

The earliest evidence of occupation is from the Roman period – there was a fort on the hill above the town and occupation in the current town centre. Columtune was mentioned in Alfred the Great’s will. In the past the town’s economy had a large component of wool and cloth manufacture, then later leather working and paper manufacture.

A large proportion of town’s inhabitants are commuters but there is still some local manufacturing, including flour and paper mills. It has a monthly farmers’ market held on the second Saturday of every month which is the oldest event of its kind in the South West. It is home to two grade I listed buildings: the fifteenth-century St Andrew’s parish church and the seventeenth-century house known as The Walronds. The centre of the town is the only conservation area in Mid Devon and there are seven grade II* listed buildings and ninety grade II listed buildings in the parish.

Cullompton is 4 miles (6.4 km) miles south-east of Tiverton, 13 miles (21 km) miles north-north-east of Exeter and 149 miles (240 km) miles west-south-west of London.It is at about 70 m above sea level, the parish covers nearly 8,000 acres (32 km2) and stretches for 7 miles (11 km) along the Culm valley.


The town and civil parish of Cullompton has three wards: North (6 councillors), South (7 councillors) and Outer (2 councillors). The town council first met on 1 December 1894 when it took over from the Parochial Committee,[59] and since 1995 the town has had a mayor elected by the councillors.[60] It is part of Mid Devon District Council and there are three Cullompton wards in the district council North (2 councillors), South (2 councillors) and Outer (1 councillor). It is also part of Devon County Council and is represented through the Cullompton Rural ward.

From Saxon times it was part of the hundred of Hayridge. From 1894 to 1935 it was part of Tiverton Rural District and prior to that it was part of Tiverton Sanitary District and Tiverton Poor Law Union. It may have been a borough in the 17th century but this status was not sustained.[64]

It is part of the Tiverton and Honiton constituency and its MP in 2012 was Neil Parish.[65] It was formerly part of the Northern Parliamentary Division of Devon (1831–67), the North Division (1867–85), the North Eastern Division (1885–1918) and the Honiton Division.

Leave a Reply